Friday, July 30, 2004

"Poetry Corner"

This will the first of an occasional series that I will call "Poetry Corner".

This first one was my gift to Ashley. (I did not tell her so, but it was my one month "anniversary" gift to her.) She like it a lot, calling it a tear jerker. :


MY GIRL ASHLEY
by
William N. Phillips, Jr.

Ashley... is a beautiful name.
Ashley, how did I win the game
of love and your heart-
can you tell me when did it start?

It has only been a few months,
and a thousand miles or two
since we met in a room
that a date was only due.

When did I win you over?
When did you fall for me?
Like the 'White Cliffs of Dover"
or even "Unchained Melody"?

My heart is still a little numb,
but my brain is far from dumb.
Ashley, you make me very happy-
I'm so glad that you're with me!


I wrote this on July 26, 2004.

No comments: