Thursday, August 12, 2004

My Love for "The King"

I wrote this on Sunday, August 8, 2004:

With Elvis International Tribute Week "Beyond the Bend", I figured that I would tell my story on how I became a fan of "The King of Rock n' Roll".

Growing up, I was used to hearing staples such as "Love Me Tender' and "Suspicious Minds". My parents, primarily my father, grew up to his music. He had quite a few of his early record albums, which are currently at my brother's house. i hope that I will be able to play them again, someday.

It was early 1988, when the family was on our way home from somewhere on a Sunday morning. they had on 98.1 on the radio, which was now playing oldies. On the radio was a program that played Elvis Presley's music. It was not just playing the songs that I knew, but rare ones and outtakes. I believe that it was a complete studio outtake of the song, "Judy", that made me head do another double-take. Even to this day, his version of "Hound Dog" is still cool to listen to.

When we got home, I eventually asked my father about some of those songs i heard. He told me what he could, and I started to listen to some of the Elvis records in his collection. I also began to listen to that radio show on a regular basis, when I could. As a result, I have became a big fan of his music. The radio show that I am referring to is the "Elvis and FriendsRadio Show", hosted by rockin' Ron Cade. The show has now been a twenty-seven year, Philadelphia radio tradition.

"Long Live 'The King'!"

No comments: