Friday, December 17, 2004

2004 Year In Review- "ME"

(Written on December 12, 2004, while at work.)

I am currently listening to "Brunch with The Beatles" on Oldies 98.1. I decided to put my black pen to work. With less than three weeks left in the year, I figured that I would start some early reflections of the year 2004.

If I had to describe it in one word, I would probably describe it as "turbulent". It has been like a Boeing 747 going through a bad storm and crossing the jet stream simultaneously. For the sake of this entry, I will try to focus on myself, and try to recap some of the big stories at a later time.

The start of the year was not bad at all. Junior won the Daytona 500 in February, and I was enjoying chatting with folks, both old and new. I finally got a personal computer towards the end of March. (It will make a good write-off on my taxes, since I was still an independent contractor.) April, to me, came in as a lamb, and out like a lion.

Once I turned twenty-nine on the fourth of April, the roller coaster ride began. I do not remember which one occurred first, but here it goes. I lost out on chatting with one of the brightest individuals I have ever come across. She had freaked out over something that was not much of a big deal. She was going through a transition at the time, which may have factored into it. She did mention that she appreciated what I had done for her, but she wanted no further contact. I let the butterfly fly. (Should that individual come across this, you are forgiven. I wish you and your family a very Happy Holiday season!)

As my memory is starting to defog a little, I believe that the aforementioned happened first. Not long after, I dissolved my sole proprietorship. Who knows? Maybe I will do it again at some other time. Doing what I did is similar to those who work in the radio industry. Both take timing and lady luck on your side. If money was not an issue, I would enjoy myself and redo it without much effort. I left it to get a second job that would bring in a more consistent paycheck.

To close out "... the cruellest month." (T.S. Eliot, 1922, The Waste Land), I finally got Yahoo! Instant Messenger, after my friend kept nagging me for a month to install it. I was a little apprehensive at first; but now, I am glad that I did it.

The first night I put myself out there, I was fortunate to chat with a girl for a few hours. We hit it off pretty well from the beginning. When she said that she loves both football and NASCAR, I was extremely happy. I remember the first time I saw her picture, she reminded me a little of Joanie Laurer (aka Chyna in the WWE). I sent her an e-card, expressing both my thanks and appreciation for the fun time I had with her.

As time went by, I grew to like this girl a hell of a lot more. Although she is a Jeff Gordon fan, I am able to overlook that, even to this day. On June 29, 2004, exactly two months after our initial contact, I took a risk and asked her to be my girlfriend. Lucky for me, she accepted. This girl's name is Ashley Moore. Yes, the same girl that I wrote the poem "My Girl Ashley" about. Even though we are not a couple right now, Ashley is a great friend to have; and, maybe we will get back together soon. Only time will tell.

The Ashley angle covers most of the second half of this year. By my own admission, I must say here that it has been one of the best times in my life. I do not know, nor can I imagine, what it would be like right now without having her in my life. Ashley, you have touched me that much. Thank you! (Don't get your mind in the gutter with that one.)

If I can flash back, there is one other ironic twist for me this year. I am going to take the time machine to Memorial Day weekend. To sum it up in a nutshell, I almost got "The Donald", because somebody could not keep their nose out of my business, despite my request to stay out. The irony to this is that now, I am working for the individual. (I am not referring to the third party person here.) In closing the story, the third person that interjected themself into this believes that they committed no wrongdoing, even to this day. The "recipient" and I are co-existing, as far as communication goes.

Should anything change before the end of the year, I will be happy to provide an addendum to this. Thank you for reading. Blessings on your day!



No comments: