Friday, January 07, 2005

Pity Party in the Making

I was listening to "The Dom Giordano Show" (1210, WPHT-AM, Philadelphia, PA), and I heard something that, in my opinion, is extremely absurd. Yes, it sounds like one of those "only in New Jersey" stories.

Apparently, the Buena Regional School District, located in Atlantic County, NJ, is considering having an episode of "The Simple Life" filmed at one of their schools. The school board will be holding a meeting this coming Tuesday night, January 11, beginning at 7:00 PM. I am sure that this will be hot topic on Jim Gearhart's morning show on New Jersey 101.5 FM (WKXW, Trenton, NJ) at some point next week.

The school board sent permission slips home with the students, discussing the situation. They set out to talk about things like decorum, potential topics of discussion, as well as lessons that the students that they may get out of this experience. I am sure that they said that it is all well-intended for the children.

Also, they are going to let both Paris Hilton and Nicole Richie teach a class at the Cleary Middle School. This is great (sic). What could they have to offer to these heads full of mush? Maybe I am better off not going there. Besides, it is like the boys will be paying attention anyway, if you catch my drift. It is bad enough that some of these schools look as if the inmates run the asylum, in the first place.

Here is the intention of the school board. They are hoping to use this as a way to show the national viewing public just how hard teachers have it. I am not undermining that teachers have the country club lifestyle, because A lot of them are very passionate at what they do. By doing this, they are hoping the residents living in this school district will vote for a new school referendum.

To me, this sounds nothing more than a pity party on behalf of the school board members. Besides receiving some money from the bigwigs of "The Simple Life", they want to exploit the students at the expense of their wish to get a new school. How could they stoop to this low? I guess that when it comes to getting their palms greased, they will do anything, just like being on "Fear Factor".

In closing, I hope that there is a huge stink made this coming Tuesday. Where do we draw the line? I hope that the residents not only reject the referendum, but also GRIP (Get Rid of Incumbent Politicians) the entire school board for being as asinine as Delaware Senator Joseph Biden (D) during the Alberto Gonzales confirmation hearings on January 6. I suppose that only time will tell. Stay tuned.

No comments: