Friday, July 15, 2005

DEI, Waltrip parting ways at conclusion of season

DEI, Waltrip parting ways at conclusion of season

Veteran driver says he has many options for '06 and beyond

By Marty Smith, NASCAR.COM
July 15, 2005
03:23 PM EDT (19:23 GMT)

LOUDON, N.H. -- Unsuccessful in a six-week quest to agree to terms for a contract extension, Michael Waltrip and Dale Earnhardt, Inc. have mutually agreed to part ways following the 2005 Nextel Cup Series season.

"It's as mutual as any decision has ever been, because of my respect for DEI and the relationships I have there with Richie and Teresa.

"Dale and Teresa and I go way back, so we wanted to be sure that so we didn't take a step back as an organization or as a team for me, that maybe I should try to find something else to do."

Waltrip explained Friday that DEI held the option to renew the deal, with a deadline of May 1. After that, Waltrip was free to seek another job.

So for the past month, the two sides worked diligently to agree on terms, but uncertainties about which individuals would make up his team left Waltrip leery. He opted out, and said Friday he has had discussions with owners about possible opportunities.

He has received no formal offers.

"The way I've performed and the job we've been able to do, I've got a lot of options for 2006," Waltrip said. "I thought I'd drive this car for the rest of my career, and I knew if that was the case, it means I'd be winning races and doing what I needed to do.

"It's sad to say I'm not going to be at DEI anymore.

"We're not really sure what 2006, seven, eight and beyond will look like. But I definitely will be in the Cup Series with a winning team."

Waltrip wouldn't specify with whom he's spoken about future employment, but did make it clear he has no intentions of elevating his Busch Series team to the Nextel Cup ranks.

He is also uncertain whether sponsor NAPA Auto Parts will stay at DEI or go with him to another team, but DEI motorsports director Richie Gilmore said in a statement Friday that the team was working diligently to re-sign NAPA and field a third team in 2006.

"DEI's NASCAR Nextel Cup focus for 2006 will be to sharpen every entity of our race teams by preparing the No. 1 Bass Pro Shops Chevrolet, driven by Martin Truex Jr., and the No. 8 Budweiser Chevrolet driven by Dale Earnhardt Jr., for the championship," Gilmore said.

"Additionally, we are working diligently with our current partner, NAPA, on returning to the No. 15 car."

Waltrip said he's not sure whether DEI plans to field three cars in 2006.

"NAPA has a lot invested in me and they have a lot invested in DEI, so they were hoping we could figure out some way to stay together," Waltrip said. "They wanted to be with me and with DEI next year. That was their goal.

"But when that became obvious that wouldn't happen, they're faced with a decision of what they need to do. I'm certainly open to seeing if they want to go with me, and at the same time encouraging them to stay at DEI, as well."

No comments: