Friday, October 06, 2006

Martin joining MB2 after 19 years with Roush

Martin joining MB2 after 19 years with Roush

NASCAR.COM
October 6, 2006
04:43 PM EDT (20:43 GMT)

TALLADEGA, Ala. -- Mark Martin is leaving Roush Racing after 19 seasons to drive the No. 01 Chevrolet for MB2 Motorpsorts.

Martin confirmed Friday that he is parting ways with team owner Jack Roush, the man for whom Martin has won all 35 of his Cup races. He will drive 22 races for MB2 next season, including the Budweiser Shootout and Nextel All-Star Challenge, with rookie Regan Smith running the others.

"Joining MB2 is a win-win situation for me," Martin said. "I not only get to drive, but I also get to teach and I love doing both. I have had a great 19 years with Roush Racing. It was a difficult decision to move on."

Martin, 47, has been talking about retirement from the Cup Series for the past two seasons. He was set to give up his ride in the No. 6 Ford after the 2005 season, but he was persuaded by Roush to stay another year because none of the team's young drivers was ready to step into the ride.

Roush still has not named a driver for the No. 6 car, but team president Geoff Smith said Friday that former Formula One driver Jacques Villeneuve, who won the series' championship in 1997, will not be behind wheel of that car.

"Jack Roush and I have enjoyed a very special relationship for the past 20 years," Martin said. "Jack afforded me the opportunity to chase my dreams, and there is no way to put in words what he has meant to me, my life and my career.

"I'm really glad I was able to come back a year and help those guys and Jack out, and we are going to do everything we can to keep chasing after that Nextel Cup for the next seven races."

It previously was reported that Martin was pursuing sponsorship that would enable him to run up to a dozen Cup races in 2007 with Mark Simo's No Fear Racing team.

As recently as two weeks ago, Martin was close to signing a full-time Truck Series deal with Roush. That deal is now off.

Martin also said at Dover that he had had some talks with Doug Yates about possibly racing with Robert Yates Racing, but called it virtually a dead issue.

"When Mark finally reconciled his somewhat conflicting desires, he settled on staying in Cup and running a 20-race schedule. We had no way of accommodating that desire since all of our Cup programs were previously committed," Roush's Geoff Smith said.

"And, NASCAR team limits prevented Roush Racing from putting together an additional team for Mark, so in the end Mark had to move on -- in order to stay in the Cup Series. He's meant a great deal to this organization and we certainly wish him the best in whatever he chooses to do down the road."

Joe Nemechek, the current driver of the No. 01, will drive a third MB2 entry in 2007 that will carry the number 13; the sponsorship will be announced at a later date. Sterling Marlin will continue to drive the No. 14 MB2 car.

"Our goal at MB2 is to reach a new level, and with Mark joining our organization it not only elevates our presence, but his knowledge and credibility will also be a viable asset to all of our race teams," team owner Bobby Ginn said.

"While Mark brings a wealth of experience to MB2, we are also thrilled with the acquisition of Regan," Ginn said. "He's eager, talented and will be groomed by one of NASCAR's greatest drivers of all time."

Regan Smith, 23, has never started a Cup Series race. He has one top-10 finish in 80 Busch Series starts and one top-10 in 12 Truck Series starts.

"This is an exciting time for me," Smith said. "Driving an Army-sponsored car in Nextel Cup competition with Mark Martin as your coach is an incredible opportunity. I'm going to listen well and take advantage of what has been presented to me. I am ready to give it all I have in both Cup and Busch."

Said Nemechek: "I think it's big news. ... Mark Martin and I have been friends and fierce competitors for a lot of years. Then all of a sudden he's going to be in our stable helping me, Sterling and everybody else involved in our program.

I was shocked when I first heard about it. Mark and I talk all the time. He's a tough competitor. People ask me who do you enjoy racing with on the racetrack the answer is always Mark Martin. It's a big day."

Nonetheless, Nemechek welcomes the opportunity to drive the team's newest car.

"Even before any of this started with Mark this was the plan," Nemechek said. "We've been talking about this for the past couple of months. MB2 along with Bobby Ginn at the helm need to grow our organization.

"But moving over to the No. 13 -- the new team -- it's a challenge for myself, but in the end it's going to be a lot better for the whole company."

• It was also announced that Kraig Kinser and Jesus Hernandez will continue with their MB2 developmental programs in 2007.

Kinser's schedule will include Truck, Busch and Cup races.

Hernandez will continue to run the late model series as well as selected ARCA and Truck races.

No comments: