Thursday, March 05, 2009

Goodbye Runway Rd., Parts I-IV

Thursday, January 08, 2009
Goodbye, Runway Road, Part 1
Current mood: busy
Category: Jobs, Work, Careers
I just found out yesterday that my time is winding down in Levittown, PA. Although my last day there may change, it will be within the next two weeks. I apologize for being like Philadelphia Eagles head coach Andy Reid in not saying much; but, as Coach Reid will say in his news conferences, "I'm not going to get into that."

The good news about this is that I will be closer to home, which will save both my car and my body some wear and tear. Along with this comes the bad. First, I have made a few acquaintances in the Keystone State. It would be nice if I can still stay in touch with as many as I can. Finally, the person I currently like lives there, too.

That is all for now. "Time's yours."
--------------------------------------------------

Monday, January 19, 2009
Goodbye Runway Rd., Part II & the "Wawa Gang"
Current mood: busy
Category: Jobs, Work, Careers
My last day officially in Levittown, PA, was this past Friday, January 16. It did not take me long to acclamate myself in my new location, which was the next day. Unfortunately, I did not get off on the good foot.
I woke up at 1:40 PM. I was due in at 2:00 PM. Yes, I called to let them know that I would be tardy and told them why. I finally arrived at 3:00 PM. Regardless, it was a complete culture shock once I stepped foot into the warehouse. I felt like a lab rat in a labyrinth, in comparison to walking around an area the size of a postage stamp for over four-and-a-half years. I will admit that it will take me, at least, one week, to adjust to the new surroundings. The fact that there is ongoing construction taking place makes it more complicated. I am certain that I will get lost, at some point, as if I can't find my way out of a burlap bag. It is what it is.
It is both good news and bad for me. The good news is that I will be closer to home. The commute is only about twenty-five minutes, twelve miles, and I do not have to travel on any highway, nor will I have to pay a toll. On the other end, the one I like the most resides in the Keystone State.
I told her last week that it would probably be my last week. At the time, I was not sure if that was the case, but I had a strong feeling that it was. I only told her because it is always better to hear it straight from the source. However, I did not say goodbye, and for a reason.
To me, the only times in which you say goodbye are for the following: 1) somebody has died, 2) somebody is moving long distance, and 3) you have no intentions of seeing either a living individual or group of individuals again. I made a promise to a few members of the "Wawa Gang" that, if I am in the area, I will stop by to say, "Hi!". Yes, that includes "Wawa girl". I meant that as a promise, and not a threat. I am a man of my word when it comes to that.
I wish I knew when next time would be. I do not. It is hard to let the acquaintences go after nearly five years. I am not the type to delete it like one's browsing history. All I do know is that, when I make it over that way to that part of Bucks County, Pennsylvania, the pleasure will be all mine, regardless of whom I run into.
Until next time, take care!
Bill

--------------------------------------

Monday, February 02, 2009
Goodbye, Runway Rd., Part III- Not Yet.
Current mood: busy
Category: Jobs, Work, Careers
In the previous episode of "Goodbye Runway Road", I talked about when it is a good time to say, "Goodbye". As far as the situations in which it is "appropriate", I still stand by those. Yes, I have stopped by and said, "Hi!", to some of the Wawa gang. Please stand by for an upcoming announcement.
That teaser was very short-lived. A decision was made Friday afternoon. As a result, I can have a "normal" life in the short term. It was decided that I will be working Monday through Friday until they close down the warehouse in Levittown. Honestly, it was my proposal from the beginning. My motive was for the best interest of the company, and not selfishness. Upper management decided to have the gate open for truckers from 6 AM to 6 PM during the week, and 8 AM to 10 AM on Saturday. Of course, somebody from Security has to come over from Jersey if a trucker is sitting in the parking lot, even though the sign says that we are closed. (Either the driver can not read a sign, or the dispatcher does not know how to read two hands on the clock. I say that it is more the latter.) Yes, it means that I am splitting my time between the Keystone and Garden States. Once the building is shuttered, I will be at the Edgewater Park, NJ warehouse on a permanant basis.
The recap is simple. I will be working Monday through Friday for the short-term, and get to keep a low profile on the weekend. I am sure that somebody will ask me when I am off again; but, I will be nice and answer accordingly. I would love to elaborate further, but I have to get going for work. Blessings on your day!
Bill

---------------------------

Thursday, March 05, 2009
Goodbye Runway Rd., Part IV- Sunset
Current mood: tired
Category: Jobs, Work, Careers
I will keep this as brief as possible. They had a meeting earlier in the day; and, it was announced that Friday, May 1 will be the last day of the distribution center in Levittown, PA. At least, my peers there can, at least, have some closure, in that they now know when the last day will be. For me, it means that I will be on a Monday through Friday schedule until then. There are other details involved, but I cannot disclose them here.

"Time's yours."- Philadelphia Eagles head coach Andy Reid

No comments: