Tuesday, April 05, 2005

My Brief Thoughts on Pope John Paul II

To begin, I will disclose that I am not Catholic, nor have I ever been baptized under any religion. That should not disqualify me from rendering my thoughts of the late Pope John Paul II. chances are that my opinion will be concurring like most others that have written or spoken their thoughts about him.

Like most others in my age bracket, he is the only Pope I grew up knowing, even though there was Pope Paul VI and Pope John Paul I. He reached out to everybody, regardless of religious background, because he saw all of us as the Father's children. Listening to soundbites from his visit to Philadelphia in 1979, and a visit to Boston, reiterated it.

"I am your friend!", he said to those attending Mass.

The crowd roared in approval in both cities, and practically anywhere he went.

In my opinion, the Catholic church has come a long way under his reign. Is it perfect? No, and I do no think that anybody would have that expectation. He had a strict interpretation of the charter and was not afraid to express hius views, even if it was against the popular point of view. He was consistent and fair to all. He was unlike any other Pope the world has ever witnessed. His warm smile, and interpersonal reach for all, is what this world needs more of. He was well-respected by all, and had respect for all of us.

Karol Joseph Wojtyla, the Lord has welcomed you home. Your legacy as Pope John Paul II will eventually be known as Pope John Paul The Great. You were an inspiration to all of us, and will never be forgotten.

Requiem In Pacem, Holy Father.

No comments: