Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Delran Middle School principal dies

Source: http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/112-07182007-1379504.html

July 18, 2007 6:08 AM

By TODD MCHALE
Burlington County Times

DELRAN — “He was a gentle giant.”

James A. Duda's son Troy said yesterday that is the best way to describe his father.

“He was a big man, but his heart was the biggest thing about him,” Troy Duda said of the longtime Delran Middle School principal.

Duda, 59, died suddenly Monday of a heart attack at Lourdes Medical Center of Burlington County in Willingboro.

Born in Reading, Pa., Duda earned his bachelor's and master's degrees from Xavier University in Ohio. After teaching science in Cincinnati and working as an administrator at two Pennsylvania school districts, Duda moved to Delran in 1980 to accept the position of assistant principal at Delran High School.

Eight years ago, Duda was promoted to principal of Delran Middle School.

Delran schools Superintendent George Sharp said yesterday the school community has suffered a tremendous loss with the untimely death of Duda.

“Mr. Duda was a legend in the Delran community as a devoted son, loving husband, father and grandfather, concerned citizen and remarkable educator,” Sharp said. “He was known for his passion for education and his commitment to the success of all students....

“We were so fortunate to have a citizen and educator of Mr. Duda's caliber as a member of the Delran community for 27 years, and he touched the lives and hearts of generations of students in his role as assistant principal at Delran High School and, more recently, as the principal of the Delran Middle School.”

Duda's son Jimmy said his father loved working in education.

“Education wasn't just a job to him, it was his life,” Jimmy Duda said.

While the students came and went over the years, Duda never stopped caring about their well-being.

Jimmy Duda recalled how he once was out with his dad and a former student came up and started talking to him about some family problems.

Instead of shying away from the conversation, Duda took the time to console the man.

“That's just the way he was,” Jimmy Duda said of his father. “He was the most kind, caring, compassionate man I've ever known.”

Duda's daughter Diana Duda Mongo said her father couldn't have loved his family any more than he did, but he also wanted to help others.

She said every year her father would find a family in need and do something special for them for Christmas.

“He would just do it without anyone knowing about it,” Diana Duda Mongo said. “He was a living legend. He took care of everybody. My dad was my rock, and I don't know what I'm going to do without him.”

Duda's son Michael Duda said that when his grandfather fell ill recently, his dad drove to Reading, Pa., every day after school to help his grandfather learn how to walk again.

The family said it was just Duda's nature to be there for others.

“No matter what he had, if someone needed something he was ready to help,” Duda's wife, Ethel Marie Duda said. “He was just a good man.”

Friends and relatives are invited to attend Duda's life celebration and viewing at St. Casimir's Church on New Jersey Avenue in Riverside tomorrow from 3 to 7 p.m.

The Funeral Mass will be celebrated at St. Casimir's Church at 9:30 a.m. Friday.

In lieu of flowers, the family has requested that memorial contributions be made to the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, 1415 Route 70, Suite 502, Cherry Hill, NJ 08034.

E-Mail: TODD MCHALE

James Andrew Duda, 59, Delran, N.J., died suddenly July 16, 2007, in Lourdes Medical Center, Willingboro, N.J.

He was the beloved husband of Ethel Marie (Elberfeld) Duda.

Born in Reading, he was a son of Andrew and Margaret Duda, Reading.

A resident of Delran for 27 years, Jim was principal at Delran Middle School for the last eight years and vice principal at Delran High School for more than 18 years. He was a professor at Eastern University and had more than 40 years in the education profession.

He was a Eucharist minister at St. Casimir’s Roman Catholic Church, Riverside, N.J., and a member of the Knights of Columbus 1436 in Delran.

Jim was a football coach for the Delran AA Pop Warner League.

He was the loving father of Troy (Julie) Duda, Diana (Scott) Duda Mongo, Michael (Tina) Duda and James (his fiancee, Kristy) Duda; brother of Diane (Robert) Woodland and Andrew (Barbara) Duda; and dear grandfather of Casey, Alisha and Emily.

He also is survived by many nieces, nephews and his buddy, Scout.

Relatives and friends are invited to attend Jim’s Life Celebration and viewing today from 3 to 7 p.m. in St. Casimir’s Church, 502 New Jersey Ave., Riverside, N.J. A Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated Friday at 9:30 a.m. in St. Casimir’s Church. Burial will be Friday at 1 p.m. in Nativity BVM Cemetery, Reading.

In lieu of flowers, contributions may be made to the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, 1415 Route 70, Suite 502, Cherry Hill, NJ 08034. Family service by Snover/Givnish of Cinnaminson, N.J.


Published in the Reading Eagle from 7/18/2007 - 7/19/2007.

3 comments:

Emily Hindel said...

I love you Grandpa Jim. I wont forget all of the great times that we spent together. I was thinking the other day about how you took me driving when we came out for Easter. I was scared, yet you made the experience so much better.I learned a lot from you. I also remember when we were watching The Sound of Music with grandma,and you sat there and made fun of it. I'm not going to lie, that made my day. You will always be with me. I love you.
Emily

Alisha Hindel said...

Pop Pop,
I love you with all of my heart. Im really mad at myself right now because I already typed alot to say to you on here and I erased it all. Anyway, today I did not tell you goodbye I only told you goodnight. In my eyes your not really gone, atleast im not thinking of it that way. As long as I have all of our great memories together in my heart, then your not far. Speaking of memories, I always loved our time together. Going to lunches and dinners, our walks, bike rides, and talks. Most of all I loved our talks. You always made me feel better whenever I was down, you made me laugh harder than anyone else could, and you made me feel more loved and appreciated each day. On the way up here I was thinking how last summer when you came and got me you told me we were taking the scenic route because you loved the view. I laughed because it took 3 extra hours to get to yours and mom moms house.It was worth while because it was good time for me to spend with you, and we sang the hills are alive in our own way. You were my favorite grandpa thats why I call you pop pop , and I wanted to say im sorry that I never got to see you as much as I wanted to. I want you to know I love you and i will talk to you everynight in my prayers and whenever I need you, Ill call on you. Just watch over me and make sure next week you let the weather in ohio be good because Im driving next week and I know you know how worried I am because I called and told you. Love you pop pop
Alisha

Alisha Hindel said...

Pop you must think this is funny
I have typed to you on here 3 times now and each time it erased. Anyways, I love you with all of my heart and I wanted you to know that you are my favorite grandpa, thats why I call you my pop pop. I will talk to you everyday and maybe more than that if its an emergency. We had some great time togetehr and I will treasure those forever. I loved our walks, bike rides, lunches and dinners,shopping trips, and most of all our talks. Our talks were very inspiring and helped me get through alot of things I couldnt on my own. You believed in me when I didnt even believe in myself and you will never know how much that meant to me to have atleast one person in this world understand and listen to what I had to say. You always put others before yourself and Im grateful ive known and loved someone like that. I was thinking on the way up here how last summer you came and got me and we took the scenic route because you loved the view. I didnt mind becuase hey, it was quality time with you and I was content as long as we sang our version of the hills are alive. I loved that. I know when I heard the news that I was very upset with myself because I had alot of what ifs or I should haves on my mind. I wish I would have called you alot more than I did or wrote to you more often. I want you to know that I love you very much and I know that someday I will be with you and we can sing as loud as we want to. Until then, Ill be missing you everyday. Oh please help me have a good school year this year. I did what you told me to do and I pushed myself ahrder so I could take those CP classes you said to take. I know they will be pretty challenging but as long as you help me, I can do it. Also whenever Im outside and I start to talk to you, can you give me a little sign that your listening, maybe the wind blowing fast or a butterfly near me something so I wont feel so lonley as im speaking. I love you pop pop and wherever I go, ill take you with me.
Alisha