Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Barry Manilow - Billy Joel's Inspiration For 'Big Shot'





Source: http://musicandpassionblog.blogspot.com/2008/10/look-back-rolling-stone-november-1-1990.html

Rolling Stone - November 1, 1990


---snip snip---

Here is how he once alienated Bruce Springsteen and Billy Joel:

Because life makes no sense, they sat together, the three of them, at a small table in a Philadelphia diner, circa 1974.

Somehow, all three happened to be in town. So they convened, in casual assembly, at the behest of a local DJ named Ed Sciaky, who, with his wife, was also present.

Bruce drank water, acted detached. Billy drank black Russians, acted surly. Barry drank coffee and, to be friendly, made conversation. Much too much conversation, it seems.

"Sciaky reminds me that I made an asshole of myself then," Manilow says.
"Apparently, at one point I said, 'Out of all three of us, just watch, I'm going to be the biggest star at this table.'

"Ed says he winced, and his wife began to gag. I don't remember this, but if I said it at all, it was because, of the three of us, I was making the most blatantly commercial music. I respected their music more than my own and said (cynically), 'Hah! Just watch!' But it just came out wrong, and they never forgot it. To this day, Billy Joel gets pissed off when people mention my name - and I have always been such an incredible fan of his."

No comments: