Saturday, July 17, 2004

Baseball

For fans of Major League Baseball, the first trade deadline is two weeks away from today, July 31.  It seems that Seattle is doing some housecleaning, by designating SS Rich Aurilia and 1B John Olerud for assignment.  They traded Freddy Garcia to the White Sox last month, and could manager Bob Melvin be next? I would not be surprised.  I can see Aurilia going to the Cubs, since they need a shortstop, due to the injury of Alex Gonzalez.  Also, Aurilia would be reunited with manager Dusty Baker.  Unless Olerud hangs it up, could he be in a Dodgers or Padres uniform?  I know that he recently voided a trade to San Francisco, but I guess that option should not be ruled out.  It would give the Dodgers a cheaper alternative, especially it seems that Carlos Delgado will not waive his no-trade clause. 
 
If I were the Cubs, along with my hometown Phillies, I would look for depth in starting pitching.  With the injuries to both Mark Prior and Vicente Padilla, a "rental" would not be a bad idea, especially both teams in the heat of the pennant race.  Besides Seattle, it looks as if that Colorado, Pittsburgh, and Kansas City are in selling mode right now.
 
I just heard on TV that the Mets may be trying to trade OF Karim Garcia.  He would be a nice bench bat for a contender.  Just a thought. 
 
More to follow later. ...    

No comments: